India is often known as the Diabetes capital of the world! Having evolved from a disease that only the rich suffered from, it is now a common health issue among the young and old alike. When one is diagnosed, it is essential for them to follow precautions to avoid further damages to health. Apart from allopathy medication, nutrition plays a significant role in Diabetes management. Home remedies for Diabetes are a must too.
Let Us Look at 10 Home Remedies for Diabetes:
Basil leaves have the power to alleviate high blood sugar levels in the body. Basil leaves contain high amounts of antioxidants and compounds that boost the functioning of cells that release insulin in the body.
One can add these leaves to their meals or have a teaspoon of juice at breakfast.
Bitter Gourd aka Karela
This vegetable is synonymous with Diabetes as it is said to contain charanthin, a chemical that helps in lowering blood glucose levels. On regular consumption, the bitter gourd increases the secretion of insulin to combat the imbalances caused.
A typical home remedy for diabetes, Cinnamon is rich in bioactive compounds such as cinnamaldehyde, cinnamate cinnamon and cinnamic acid. It helps in managing diabetes by alleviating high blood sugar levels in the body.
Adding a cinnamon stick to one’s tea is a tasty way of consuming it daily.
Amla or Indian Gooseberry
Amla is rich in Vitamin C. It is a miracle fruit as it has many health benefits. Most importantly, it balances the sugars in the blood. It also supports the pancreas activity and helps create insulin. It also helps to control the production of glucose in the body.
Cannot imagine drinking tea with fresh mango leaves? Think again! It can do wonders for people with diabetes. Boil 15 mango leaves for 15 minutes, strain it and drink this concoction on an empty stomach. If one drinks this even once a day, it can help balance sugars in the bloodstream.
Black Plum is a highly recommended fruit for diabetic patients. It contains antioxidants such as anthocyanins, hydrolyzable tannins and ellagic acid. This fruit is suitable for both type 1 and type 2 diabetes patients.
Fenugreek or Methi
Methi is a popular leafy vegetable and the methi seeds or fenugreek seeds are known to help maintain type 1 and type 2 diabetes. Nutrients found in this leafy vegetable helps to control higher levels of glucose. It also helps to absorb the sugar properly.
Curry Leaves or Kadi Patta
The Kadi Patta or Curry Leaves is a vital part of Indian cuisine. Not only does it add flavour but it also very rich in antioxidants. Additionally, it helps to maintain the glucose levels in the bloodstream and its leaves are known to reduce the quantity of sugar that is obtained from starch.
Aloe Vera is a versatile plant. It contains phytosterols that have anti-hyperglycemic effects on patients with Type 2 Diabetes. It is a safe source to alleviate the fasting sugars in the blood.
Guava has vitamin C and fibre in abundance. Both these nutrients are essential when it comes to controlling sugar levels in the body. The fibre in Guava supports the metabolism function in the body.
Moringa offers essential medical benefits that can help control blood sugar levels and treat type 2 diabetes effectively. It is rich in antioxidants and vitamin C. Vitamin C is not only good for the skin but also for diabetes. Recent studies have shown that consuming approximately 600 mg of Vitamin C daily can improve the blood sugar level significantly.
- Cut a few pieces and put them into a jug full of water. You can keep sipping on it whenever.
- Toss some in your pulses, curry or dal and delve to get the added richness and flavour from it.
Ways to reduce the risk of diabetes
- Choose the adult drink ‘water’ as your primary beverage: Move away from carbonated and sugary drinks as much as possible. Sticking to water as your first choice of beverage helps you avoid other beverages that are loaded with sugar and preservatives. Sugary beverages have been linked with an increased risk of both type 2 diabetes and latent autoimmune diabetes in adults.
- Shed some kilos if you are overweight: Being overweight can welcome a hoard of diseases, including a high risk of developing type 2 diabetes. Though not everyone who develops type 2 diabetes is overweight or obese, the majority of people are. Excess visceral fat promotes inflammation and insulin resistance, which significantly increases one’s risk of diabetes. Exercise regularly.
- Quit smoking and drinking: Smoking has been linked to many serious health conditions. Studies have also shown that smoking and second-hand smoking exposes one to type 2 diabetes. Even drinking is heavily associated with developing diabetes. Quit smoking and reduce your drinking limit to eradicate the chances of developing diabetes because of these factors.
Disclaimer: The information included at this site is for educational purposes only and is not intended to be a substitute for medical treatment by a healthcare professional. Because of unique individual needs, the reader should consult their physician to determine the appropriateness of the information for the reader’s situation.
The post 10 Effective Home Remedies For Diabetes! appeared first on PharmEasy Blog.
This content was originally published here.