with June Hunt, E-RYT500 and Himalayan Institute Senior Faculty
When you enroll in the Himalayan Institute’s 500-hour teacher training course, you don’t just train to become a teacher—you get the opportunity to participate in one of the best teacher training programs in the nation, and learn from some of the most experienced yoga teachers alive today. Through their guidance, you will acquire the wisdom and knowledge to confidently interpret and convey the deeper meaning of yoga.
Our 500-hour yoga teacher training program offers yoga teachers from all traditions and backgrounds the opportunity to advance their studies in a truly impactful way. Our teachings draw from the source of yoga, based in guidance passed down by Swami Rama—a true yogic master who founded the Himalayan Institute—and rooted in yogic scriptures.
The Himalayan Institute 500-hour teacher training course includes in-depth application of:
• Advanced studies in teaching methods
• Sequencing strategies
• Verbal and hands-on assists
• Practical application of subtle body anatomy in asana teaching
You will also explore advanced applications of yoga for mental and physical well-being, acquire an authentic understanding of the eight limbs of yoga through an in depth study of essential yogic texts, and attain a first-hand experience of ancient techniques in pranayama (breathing techniques), pratyahara (sense withdrawal), and meditation.
Whether you wish to develop your skills for teaching yoga classes, or broaden your personal application of yoga through an advanced teacher training course, our 500-hour program is an excellent way to become proficient in concepts initially touched upon in 200-hour yoga teacher training courses.
Our 500-hour yoga teacher training program consists of 3 modules that are each broken into 5 weekends. You have the freedom to take the modules in any order you choose but you must attend all five weekends within the module. You can take up to three years to complete them.
This 500-hour yoga teacher training course is certified through Yoga Alliance.
Advanced Teaching Methods: Exploring the Heart of Yoga Technique and Philosophy
April 5-7, 2019, May 3-5, 2019, May 31 – June 2, 2019, September 6-8, 2019, & October 4-6, 2019
As we advance in our teaching and personal practice, it is common to find ourselves becoming stagnant in our teaching, or feel a strong desire to explore more than what we’ve become accustomed to. Segment I is a chance for you to deeply examine your own personal practice and teaching style, and then refine and develop this further. You will begin to cultivate a relationship with the more subtle practices of yoga, using the Yoga Sutra as a foundation, and learn more about breathing, sense withdrawal, and meditation from both a personal and professional standpoint.
This segment of our teacher training course will focus on:
• Refining your ability to deliver effective, efficient, and elegant verbal instruction
• Developing your skills of observation and intuitive sensitivity to students’ needs
• Understanding the deeper dimensions of yogic breathing for nervous system balance and as a support for deeper spiritual practices
• Learning to offer students guided, systematic relaxations that increase prana and prepare students for meditation
• Practicing traditional yogic meditation techniques
• Participating in an in-depth study of Patanjali’s Yoga Sutra that will make this ancient text come alive as a support for your practice and teaching
• Developing the subtle aspects of yoga, including breathing, sense withdrawal, and meditation
• Enhancing your credibility as a yoga teacher by skillfully incorporating Sanskrit into your teaching, and learn a set of traditional Sanskrit prayers and chants