When you have joint pain or arthritis, your body is in an inflammatory state. What you eat can increase your inflammation and it can also lead you to other chronic diseases such as heart disease, obesity and diabetes. Here are 10 foods you may be eating that can worsen joint pain or arthritis.
Avoid 10 Foods That Can Worsen Joint Pain or Arthritis
1. Avoid Red and Processed Meat: A research study of the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition has shown a link between red meat and inflammation markers. So, substitute the red processed meat with fruits and vegetables. Both red and processed meats have chemical purine and nitrite that can make joint pain or arthritis worse.
2. Avoid Sugar: Clinical experts warn that processed sugars often trigger the release of cytokines, which are inflammatory messengers. Sugar can worsen your joint pain or arthritis. Sugar is known by many names, e.g. fructose or sucrose etc. Avoid the foods with these on ingredient labels.
3. Saturated Fats Can Worsen Joint Pain: Saturated fats trigger adipose inflammation, which worsens arthritis or joint inflammation. Pizza and cheese are the largest sources of saturated fats in an average American diet.
4. Trans Fats: Trans fats can trigger systemic inflammation, which can be found in fast foods and other fried products, frozen breakfast products, cookies, and crackers. Arthritis patients should avoid foods with partially hydrogenated oils in the ingredient labels.
5. Omega 6 Fatty Acids Can Worsen Arthritis: The human body needs a healthy balance of omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids. High consumption of omega-6s can worsen the joint pain. These fatty acids are found in oils such as corn, safflower, sunflower, soy, peanut, and vegetables.
6. Refined Carbohydrates: White flour products, white rice, white potatoes and many cereals are refined carbohydrates. These refined carbohydrate foods fuel the production of advanced glycation end products that worsen arthritis or stimulate inflammation.
7. Avoid Mono-sodium glutamate to Avoid Joint Pain: Mono-sodium glutamate (MSG) is a flavor-enhancing food additive most commonly used in fast foods, prepared soups and soup mixes, salad dressings and deli meats. This chemical can trigger joint inflammation or arthritis.
8. Avoid Gluten: If you are sensitive to gluten, which is found in wheat, barley and rye, or casein, dairy products, should avoid them when you have joint pains or arthritis.
9. Avoid Aspartame to avoid arthritis: Aspartame is a non-nutritive and intense artificial sweetener used in large number of products worldwide. Although it is approved by the FDA, your immune system may react to the “foreign substance” by resisting the chemical, which in return will worsen the joint pain.
10. Alcohol: Alcohol use weakens liver function and disrupts other multi-organ interactions and can cause inflammation and joint pain. It is best removed or used in moderation.